Steamed Black Sesame Glutinous Layer Rice Cake
This is a favourite sweet Chinese rice cake enjoyed by our family. This is a family recipe from my mother-in-law. It does take time to steam each layer of the cake 4-5 minutes for each layer. With 8 layers, you can spend a lot of time in front of the stove.
400g package of tapioca starch
4.5 cups of cold water (cup is also the same as a standard rice bowl)
1 box of ground black sesame (need to give measurement)
3 sticks of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
1) 2 round 8 inch cake pan. This recipe makes 2 cakes.
2) 1 large mixing bowl
3) 1 small pot
4) 1 Steamer or large wok to steam the mixture in a the 8 inch cake pan.
5) 1 tablespoon
6) 1 mixing spoon
7) 1 ladle
1) Mix dry tapioca starch and ground black sesame together in a large mixing bowl.
2) Gradually mix 2.5 cups of cold water to the above.
3) In a pot, boil the remaining 2 cups of water and add the sticks of brown sugar. Reduce heat, stir, and until all the sugar has dissolved.
4) Gradually add the brown sugar liquid to the main mixture and stir until smooth.
5) Stir in oil.
6) Prepare the steamer over high heat. I use a wok. I fill my work with 2.5 inches of water which I bring to a high boil. I then place a the cake stand on top of a stand in my wok.
7) Stirring from the bottom, take one ladle of cake mixture and place it in the cake pan. The layer should be about 1 millimeter think. Cover and steam for 4 to 5 minutes. The layer is cooked when it turns dark.
8) Repeat step 7 until you have 8 layers.
9) When all layers are cooked, remove the pan and allow to fully cool at room temperature before serving.
10) To serve, use a sharp knife and cut diamonds 2.5 by 1.5 inches.
11) Store cake at room temperature.